Monday, July 26, 2010

If a recipe calls for sauteeing chicken, can you bake it in the oven and get the same result?

Recipe coats chicken in egg and flour and then sautee it but I am making 5 times the recipe and just want to bake it in the oven. Will it be the same consistency and taste the same? How long should I cook the chicken for? They are the thin, boneless chicken breast - about 4 1/2 ounds worth, 3 trays.If a recipe calls for sauteeing chicken, can you bake it in the oven and get the same result?
If you cook them in the oven it will be an ';oven fried'; kind of deal. I understand you are sauteing and not frying...but you get the idea. If I were you I would brown them on both sides in the pan and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking. If you just don't want to bother with the pan at all I would coat them as you are supposed to, place them in a baking dish, and then drizzle them with some melted butter. The melted butter will help the chicken become a nice crispy instead of a dry crispy as most oven 'fried' items are. I hope this helps.If a recipe calls for sauteeing chicken, can you bake it in the oven and get the same result?
Here's what I would do to get that crispy effect; drizzle a tsp of olive oil over each one and turn the oven up to about 450 - 500 degrees F. I actually have a recipe for chicken tenders that cooks them on 500 for 12 minutes. They are crispy and delicious. If you are cooking a three trays at once you might want to rotate them halfway into cooking.





Edit: I would use bread crumbs too instead of flour. I don't think you'd get good results in the oven with flour.
Cooking the chicken in the oven will work, but it will not give you the same results, unfortunately. The chicken will have more flavor if it is cooked in a skillet, and it will not be as tough either. I know it's a lot of work, but I think your efforts would be greatly appreciated.
when I make chicken for the oven I always get bone in that way they won't get over cooked, ,but you can try using the oven and still get a nice crisp coat( I also get skinless breasts) what I do is in a shallow casserole I melt about 2 tablespoons of butter in the oven and I use egg and them put them in flour%26amp; parasen chesse and lay them flour side doen for maybe 45min. to a hour, they are wonderful.
In essence, you are frying the chicken. You will get nasty results if you bake it using that recipe.
You could but suggest you use bread crumbs instead of flour.


Will turn out much crispier. If the chicken is thin than it wont take long for them to cook. I would suggest 400 to 450 temp for 30 minute per tray. If the recipe for the chicken is just part of another recipe..ie...with a sauce on it our something....the flour is usually used to help thicken the sauce. The chicken to help with flavor.


If that's the case then you will have to cook it in batches according to the recipe. Use the biggest frying pan you have and start cooking about a 1/4 pound per batch. Then transfer the chicken and juices or sauce to a deep pan and hold in the oven on a low temp to keep them warm but not keep cooking.(cook them to almost done on the stove so they stay juicy) Since they are thin pieces it wont take a s long as you think.


God Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment