Monday, August 23, 2010

A recipe I have for chicken calls for 1/2 to 3/4 tbs of celery seed, how would much would I use if I sub?

stituted it with celery salt?A recipe I have for chicken calls for 1/2 to 3/4 tbs of celery seed, how would much would I use if I sub?
They're not the same so make sure you totally reduce the other salt called for in seasoning. To be honest, I'd probably just substitute celery salt for the salt and ignore the celery seed this time around. It won't taste quite the same, but should still be a good dish. You can always add salt when it's served if needed, but you can't take it back out!





I love celery seed so I suggest you add it to your grocery list for future use. It makes great salad dressing and I always use it in potato and macaroni salads as well.A recipe I have for chicken calls for 1/2 to 3/4 tbs of celery seed, how would much would I use if I sub?
Celery salt concentrates the celery flavoring and adds salt. Dottie is right to suggest you not add any other salt to begin with. Depending on the dish, I would start with a teaspoon of celery salt and taste and adjust the seasoning.


If you go easy, and keep adding until you get the flavor you want, it will most likely be fine. Not the same, but fine.


Of course if you have actual celery, you may want to consider adding that first or instead.


The other overriding thing I would suggest is not to let recipes as written intimidate you from experimenting. In your mind's taste buds, how important is the taste of celery to this recipe? What if you added green pepper instead? Or rosemary? Or diced green chilies? Be not afraid. You might invent something even better.
Be careful. They are not the same.
  • night cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment